They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. That’s why I like to have breakfast all.day.long.
As a child one of the first things I learned to cook by myself was eggs in a basket or eggs in a hole. Not only is it a meal that brings back fond summer memories but it’s a great meal at any time of the day.
In this version I’ve kicked a traditional eggs in a basket up a notch by adding fresh parmesan cheese and letting it crust up before adding the egg. And I love a runny yolk so I always have a carton of Safest Choice Pasteurized Eggs in the fridge for just such an occasion. And, when it comes to flavor, they are the best eggs I’ve tasted. I may grow my own beef but chicken’s are another thing entirely. It’s nice to know I can get fresh in other ways and feel confident in what I’m eating and what I’m feeding my family.
- 4 slices of bread, I used Buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 Safest Choice Pasteurized Eggs
- Melt butter and stir in the parmesan cheese. The butter doesn't need to be hot enough to melt the cheese. Spread ¼ of the mixture on one side of each piece of bread.
- Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray for good measure.
- Place each piece of bread, butter side down, in the skillet. Cook until golden brown. Flip and using a round cookie cutter press and remove the center of the toast. Crack egg into the center of the toast. Fry until the egg reaches your desired consistency. I like mine with a nice runny yolk.
- Serve immediately.